Sunday, November 18, 2018

Weekend Game

I am attempting to keep the storyline of my first 18th Century Imagi-nation free of of commentary, so will make separate commentary posts.  I'm using v1.6 of the rules posted to the "Pages" section of this blog.  I have found significant errata which I have marked in my printed copy.
There are two errors  in the table outlining results of rolls.  The categories should read "6 or less", "7 to 9", and "10 or more".  Also artillery should have a base shooting value of 0, since they have been penalized for targeting units beyond 1/2 of their max range.  Previously they had a bonus for close-in shooting, but a base value of -1.
From playing the 2nd campaign game I learned:
Don't take a break until a turn is completely finished.  I think I might have shorted Red their half of a critical turn.  That could have been significant in their loss.......
Artillery can be extremely effective if used correctly and defended.
Cavalry is very effective.  Perhaps a negative modifier should be applied when frontally charging professional infantry.
Having more initiative points is both a blessing and a curse.  In the early part of game 2, Red rolled for initiative much better.  Maybe it was my poor generalship, but it seems that I over-extended the Red lines, while Blue sat in a defensive position and waited for their opportunity.
Keeping the general alive is crucial.  Without a general, all activations cost 2 initiative points and rallying is impossible.  The momentum might have been with Blue when Red's general was eliminated, but it was essentially a done-deal after.
I need to write down conditions for ending a battle.  In the campaign games, I have been using the elimination of more than 1/2 of the units.  I have not been counting the general in the count.
I am always open to questions/comments about the rules.  If you ever play a game using my rules, or have questions about the miniatures, please reach out.

A few pictures taken, but not used in game 2.
Red's cavalry rolls modified 10+ causing disorder and retreat

Militia (gray) rolls modified 10+ and eliminates regular infantry

1 comment:

  1. Your comment in respect of the 'downside' of too much good luck with the initiative draw/dice in my view is a recommendation for the system! It can lead to all kinds of interesting and unexpected results.

    In my posted Vales of Lyndhurst battle, I kept expecting the Confederation to win the initiative, and so get two moves in a row. That might have turned the battle decisively in their favour. As it was, the Royalists were at the end of their tether when the French attacks faded away.

    The trick is to balance boldness and caution. Too much concern about overextending yourself might lead to opportunities missed; too much boldness tends to rashness, and exposure to a timely and decisive counter-attack.

    That makes the whole thing challenging even for the solo gamer.

    ReplyDelete