Sunday, November 11, 2018

Minor Change of Plans

As stated in my last post, we had planned on being camping this weekend.  We live in Southern California which has generally comfortable weather, but is somewhat prone to forest fires in the dry seasons.  Thursday evening a small fire broke out in the hills on the way to the campground we had reservations for.  By Friday afternoon the interstate we had planned on taking was shut down and it looked like the alternate route would be impacted shortly.  Friday at noon the fire was 8,000 acres, by 2 PM on Friday the fire had grown to 14,000.  As I type early Sunday morning it is now 80,000 and within 5 miles of the campsite we had booked.  So as you may have guessed, we stayed home.  Although we thoroughly enjoy camping and haven't gotten out as much as we would like, we're safe at home and upwind of most of the smoke plume (for now).
Staying home means progress on the wargames front though.  Late Wednesday my lovely wife sewed the edges of a small piece of duck cloth.  I then used a template and permanent marker to mark the corners of the hexagons for the map.  There are 9 rows of 8 or 9 hexagons.  Close ups of mat below.
Close up of mat with partially painted miniatures

Mat on coffee table

Template made from 4 pieces of printer paper taped together


Mat on an End Table (How's that for Compact!)
I am satisfied with the outcome of this mat.  I think it will serve me well for the foreseeable future.  I did realize as I was drawing the dots that only a few more rows and I would have had a mat compatible with a compact Commands and Colors map.  I do have enough scrap to make another that would be compatible, assuming I stick with 2" hexes. 

2 comments:

  1. I would like to see more of your miniatures! The battle mat looks just the business, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2956951
    Link to the miniatures on thingiverse. You can see them from all angles online. I'll try to get more pictures up soon. I probably want to finish painting them first.

    ReplyDelete