Sunday, November 5, 2023

Horses & Cannons for the Marl-Bear-Ians

"Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun." - General William Phillips

Whenever I walk US battlefields, I'm always impressed with just how far armies used to drag cannons and how they managed to get them over some of the more rugged terrain features.  That being said, General Phillips would be very disappointed with the Marl-Bear-Ians' soft paws.  Their guns will stick to flat open terrain. 

Two Grenadiers Man the Gun

I was able to reuse the cannon from the 18th century commission earlier this year. I did increase bulkiness the carriage and barrel to provide a more toyish look. The crew will be a separate model than the gun.  I'm imagining as the kids get older, a more advanced game might see crews being forced off of their gun and pieces of artillery changing hands several times.  Proper gunners with swabs are in development to crew the pieces.

Profile of a Horse

The horses have been revamped to give more cartoonish details.  I opted against the legs, but did add eyes, manes, and tails.  The core body and neck may be repurposed for cattle, pigs, or sheep if necessary.

Cavalry Troopers: Ready for the Charge

Yet to Start Designs:

Artillery

Artillery Crew

Drummer?

Standard Bear-er?

Pirates w/ bandana headgear?

Pirate w/ flowy shirt?

Cannon on Naval Carriage:

Sailing Ships?:  Would be very simple and probably gridded

Work In Progress:

Horses: Eyes, nostrils, tails, manes, legs?

Terrain: Buildings, Forest, Bridges.  

2 comments:

  1. I can see these appealing to young wargamers. Not my cup of tea … but I’m a bit long in the tooth now that I’m 73!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Thanks for the kind words. They're definitely designed for a target audience.

      Delete