Tuesday, October 31, 2023

More Marl-Bear-ians

Line Infantry, Grenadiers, Advancing Line Infantry, Cavalry

The line of teddy bear soldiers continues to grow.  I 3D printed a sample of three bears merged together at approx 40mm tall.  This seemed like the right height/mass to play with young kids.  The downside is that they ended up 2.25" across the widest point. My historical ranges are based on 2" grids. Ideally, I'd be able to reuse most of my terrain. Unfortunately, I don't think much of my existing terrain will work for the bears. They're just too wide at 40mm tall. Reusing the game mats is a worthy compromise though.  To fit the existing grid, I decreased the units to two bears. I increased the spacing a little bit so that they don't overlap their neighbors so much, and sit in a 1.75" square.  This should allow me to have a little space around to make scenery.  

Assuming square grid, the scenery will probably be limited to linear scenery on 2 of the sides.  I'll be utilizing some 2.5D ideas I've seen floating around for inspiration.  Limiting the scenery to two sides does allow it to store very compactly (a plus).  There are other options for terrain I'm considering.  

    Purely Linear Terrain:  Purely linear terrain would form the border between two grid cells.  It would inhibit/limit movement between cells vs. assuming that the terrain occupies the entirety of a cell.  

    Two-Part Terrain: Terrain disassembles into two parts; a base and an upper.  When a unit occupies a terrain feature (woods/house) the upper part is removed and the unit sits on top of the base.  For a forest, the base could be a layer of stumps and the trees trunks/leaves form the upper layer.  

Lord Bearington's Cavalry Trooper

In keeping with the toy-like theme, the Mal-Bear-ian cavalry rides into battle on bouncy horses.  I'm still debating whether or not the mounts need eyes, nostrils, manes, legs, or tails. I suspect at least eyes and tails are forthcoming. Keeping the bears' feet on the ground makes 3D printing much easier and results in a more stable model on the table at the expense of the historically obvious height difference between mounted and dismounted troops.  I'm not sure which I prefer yet.

The Command Element: A General and Bugler

Yet to Start Designs:

Artillery

Terrain: Buildings, forest, bridges

Drummer?

Standard Bear-er?

Pirates w/ bandana headgear?

Pirate w/ flowy shirt?

Work In Progress:

Horses: Eyes, nostrils, tails, manes, legs?

No comments:

Post a Comment