Monday, October 25, 2021

Where I've been...

 I've been busy. I have separated from Active Duty and started a new job.  This involved moving nearly 1,000 miles and purchasing our first house. The kids are growing like weeds and we are blessed that we have remained healthy.  Between getting settled into the new job, home maintenance, and keeping up with the kids, I haven't had much time for hobbies.  I've been reading a lot of rule sets and think I'm still in the process of looking for my unicorn game.  I want something:

Gridded - probably squares, but hexes would be ok (its just harder to do terrain and show linear warfare).

Uncertain turn length - Not a I-go-U-go game.  I want my militia troops to refuse orders and give the initiative to the enemy. 

Simple processes - The process for activation, shooting, melee, and rallying should feel similar.

Unit Diversity - Elite, Regular, and Light regular infantry should feel different from irregular sharpshooters.  Militia should exist and be unique.

Solo - I need a game that I can play without finding an opponent.  After having moved and working remotely, I don't know anyone involved in wargaming.  

Small footprint - Table space is limited in the new house.  Especially table space out of the reach of my toddler.  I'd prefer less fiddly markers.

If you know of a game that fulfills the majority of my wants, please let me know.  

I have accomplished increasing my terrain for 18th - 19th Century.  Both of the following have been printed to fill a 2" square grid.  They are 1" tall when printed to fill the cell. The figures are rendered at 25mm.

Connected Rowhouses

Regular Infantry in the woods behind a small farmstead.

A small farmstead





No comments:

Post a Comment