Friday, October 29, 2021

Deciding to not decide

I've decided that developing imagi-nations is the best way for me to handle colonial wargames.  This way I don't have to decide which nations, theaters, and conflicts I want to portray.  Bob Cordery's work seems to be able to handle several generations of uniforms from the major powers of the day.  I don't have bandwidth or desire to paint British uniforms with shakos from the Indian Mutiny through the scarlet tunics and pith helmets to the tan and pith helmets by the end of the 19th Century and enemies for them from each campaign.  
Bob's blog features Little War armies  (http://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com/search/label/Little%20Wars)  which I have emulated previously one this blog with Army Red and Army Sand.    It should be fairly evident that my Army Red is based on Britain c. 1880 and Army Sand is modeled on Egypt.  An Egyptian analog is a compelling inclusion in my project because they fought alongside and against Britain.  I will be expanding on this idea to develop two "European" powers, an organized "Colonial" force and a "Tribal" force. The colony will be the center of whatever narrative develops as it fights alongside its parent country against piratical shore/river raids and incursions from the rival continental power as well as against the parent country in its bid for independence. By creating 4 forces, I can fight a wide variety of conflicts.
Below are some uniform possibilities.  I like the paint colors I used for my Army of Five Rivers for an 18th C campaign. Assuming the Army of Five Rivers survived the ensuing century, it may have developed the following uniforms. 

Infantry in Home Service Uniform


Infantry in Campaign Uniform

The Red King will probably be reprising his role as well, likely modeled on Queen Victoria's forces.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan -
    Your approach sounds very like leading to an outcome to which my own 19th Century projects evolved, but with more planning and less faffing around than I did. I'll be looking forward to seeing where your project leads...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete