Thursday, September 14, 2017

Units Designed Thus Far

Units/miniatures are the heart of any wargame.  Most are highly detailed and somewhat realistic looking, although most are drastically non-proportional.  It is difficult to sculpt the human body in such a way as to make a sturdy enough to cast at the 15-28 mm scale.  I designed the models at the following link to serve as the units in my game.  They are intentionally void of complex detail. The metal and plastic miniatures can be beautiful, but I don't want to spend the time to become proficient at painting.  The models I designed can be painted very simply, which is good enough for me.  I figured that if I'm going to have a grid-based game where units can only move in set distances and only make precisely 90 degree turns, the simple uniforms and spherical heads are an acceptable abstraction. 

Link to models I designed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2521148

The v1.0 rules include provisions for line infantry, light infantry, artillery, and cavalry.  I have considered adding more unit types, but those four make a decent start. I considered buying used and pre-painted models, but after realizing I could 3D print my models for very little money, I refined the models and started printing.  Some of the models experienced some quality issues, and I might reprint some in the future.

Each based unit would vaguely represent a regiment.  Four infantry (one being light infantry), one artillery, and one cavalry bases will make a division with attached cavalry regiment.  This will serve as the basic forces with which the game will be fought.  The army composition can be easily tailored to support history or customized to the player's preferences. 


EDIT:  If you're interested in having any of the models but don't have access to a 3D printer, let me know in the comments.  I'm sure we can work something out.  I considered putting them on shapeways.com, but thought their pricing was too high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment