Thursday, September 28, 2017

Painting Progress

Although I have an extremely simple painting style, it takes me a while to actually get things painted.  I don't see how people paint hundreds of these.  I've got the coats, pants, muskets, and packs painted.  Now I have just the faces, headgear, musket barrels, cannons, limbers, and horses remaining.  Hopefully I can get finished up soon.  I'm getting anxious.  Then my next project will be the terrain which I'm still modeling in SketchUp.  I've got some evergreen trees that clump together, some basic European houses, a church, and a set of "fortress" walls.  The fortress walls are designed to look somewhat like a star fort, but square to fit the grid-based nature of the game.  More printing, more painting....
The colors chosen for the armies were chosen to look vaguely historic, but not necessarily historically accurate.  I guess that makes the armies imagi-nation forces.  A backstory might give players more connection with their forces and make the game more interesting.  I'm not going to go full bore on the backstories and histories for the nations that would field the forces, but I might write a 1-2 pager for each.
If When I get the units and terrain painted, I plan to run a few test games and then jump into a small campaign.  Bob Cordery writes about smaller campaigns in his Developing the Portable Wargame book.  His method seems to give a good feel of campaign progression without causing a whole lot of extra management.  I might pick random scenarios from One Hour Wargames  to determine the battle.  The winner from the previous battle could pick their initial position for the next battle.  This way the same battle wouldn't be fought over and over again if neither side has a clear advantage.  I'd like to eventually work up to what they do on napoleonicwargaming.blogspot.com, but that would violate my cheap, compact, and fast limitations. 


If you've played some of the scenarios from One Hour Wargames which are your favorite?  are there any that would make a good campaign if linked together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment