Friday, December 8, 2023

Beary Simple Wargame: Putting the Pieces Together

The Beary Simple Wargame made it to the table (floor) for the first time last night.  Most of the rules weren't followed.  The princess was just excited to play with her bears.  Her favorite part was having her cavalry rapidly advance to steal my artillery.  While we had fun moving the bears and stealing the guns, I was working through how the game looks once set-up and how that might impact the rules.

Pink's cavalry bounds over the guns to steal them.

The board we played is for a different, mostly 3D printed, game called Tech?No! Bowl.  It's got all of the mechanics and miniatures of a wargame, but instead of a battlefield, it takes place on a a football (American) field.  The grids are 1" here instead of 2" so each terrain piece and bear should occupy 4 grid cells.  I tried to keep the right spacings to get a visual. 

A possible early-game position. 

After the kids went to bed, and between other chores. I got the first coat of paint on the Prince's/My Red Bears.  I was worried about the coat colors being too similar, but now that the bears have different color fur, it is easer to distinguish them.  

Contrasting fur helps distinguish the armies

I've also been playing around with a flag-bearer.  I already designed a general and bugler, but every army needs a flag bearer.  It's not ready to show yet.  I've made probably a dozen or so flags but none of them seem to work.  I ran into this same problem on my earlier 18th century army with the round body soldiers.

 

4 comments:

  1. Superb - I am really enjoying watching how this project develops and how your young players are adapting it to suit themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      The kids are enjoying watching painting progress get made and getting to play with the bears between coats. For now, that's what matters.

      Delete
  2. It looks great! And I'm glad to hear the princess was excited. Rules or not, if it gets them playing toy soldiers it's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      My painting skills are not near where yours are, but they seem to be good enough for the kids. I think the rules will come soon enough. They're both very excited about the novelty now.

      Delete