Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Sicoran Uniform Plates

I have good news to report.  Troops from two separate armies have been printed and primed.  Each force is comprised of four units of regular infantry, a field artillery battery, and a cavalry detachment. Six tiles of forest coverage and a pair of one tile built-up-areas.  This is the bare minimum to play a reasonable game of The Portable Wargame, One Hour Wargames, and my own rules in development. One of the forces is inspired by the British army of 1870. This force will become Sicora as described in a previous post.  

I'd like to ensure that my units are clearly inspired by British uniforms, but won't be strictly adhering to historical uniforms. I'm steering away from the historically correct home service navy blue pants and helmet. The other army is wearing pickelhaube helmets and I'd like them to have navy blue helmets and pants with a brighter (roughly Bavarian) blue tunic. For the same reason, I'll also be omitting the fact that artillery and cavalry troops wore blue tunics. Possible uniform options are shown below.  Units will be differentiated by cuff color and/or marked on the base, I still haven't decided.  I greatly appreciate any feedback and/or preferences.

Probably closest to Home Service Uniform

White helmets to blend all-black and all-white

This option may be too "Napoleonic" for 1870

Iconic Campaign look with early khaki





4 comments:

  1. This is all really coming along! Looking forward to seeing war break out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to keep things moving as best I can. Between National Guard duty, the baby's birthday, hosting extended family Christmas, and actual Christmas, I'm running out of weekend time this year.

      Which uniform combination do you think could stand in as British uniforms if I decide to play a historical action?

      Delete
    2. Personally I like the black helmets and black pants.

      Delete
    3. I've painted all of the currently printed units in the khaki/sand color. Maybe the Sicoran Home Guard will get an all-black look.

      Delete