Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Hot off the press

 Progress is being made.  I have printed functional test prints of pickelhaube wearing cavalry and infantry as well as pith helmet wearing artillery.  

Primed artillery, infantry, and unprimed cavalry


The wheels printed quite wobbly

Top view: infantry in forest

Front view: infantry in forest

Primed Infantry 

The terrain shown in previous posts has also been test printed and is awaiting priming.  I have not yet attempted painting, but am realizing there are going to be a lot of hard to reach areas.  The undersides of the artillery pieces and transitions between legs and bases look especially challenging. I should have realized this during my design phase, but it didn't occur to me.  One option is to remove the bases and print the grouped figures as one piece and then attach to a base later.  Unbased figures are appealing if I want to commit to gridded games that don't need a base anyway, but one of my primary goals for this project was to keep flexibility.  

Another option would be to leave an indentation in both the base and figures to fill with small magnets.  With two small kids running around, I don't like this option.  My 2.5 year old daughter loves to pick up the test prints and admire them (at least I have one fan).  Once she's a little older I'll probably be designing a teddy bear army for her.  Ganesha Games sells a very compelling introductory wargame which I think she'd like (https://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?products_id=13).  I'll probably end up sticking with the pre-based figures and just deal with the difficult painting.

2 comments:

  1. The blocks of figures look effective. What size are the figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top of the base figure's head is 25mm. I don't know why it looks like the pith helmet artillery unit is so much bigger than the infantry blocks. The headgear adds some height, but not that much. I think the back corner of the artillery base must be stacked on the corner of the next base. The bases are 30mm squares and add 2.5mm to the height of a unit.

      Delete