Wednesday, May 16, 2018

It's been a while

I know I haven't posted in a long time.  It's been a busy time in my life with little time for this hobby of mine.  My life has been a lot more time consuming, and my other hobbies take priority over this one.  I'm currently working on two "wargaming" projects.  The first is the ongoing quest for a quick, simple, horse and musket, grid based wargame with miniatures.  I'm re-tweaking One Hour Wargames and The Portable Wargame, with a different combat system. 
I think  summing 2D6 and modifiers should provide some amount of predictability with an appropriate level of uncertainty.  In my last "completed" rules, I kept watching my elite cavalry's charges stopped by gun crews.  If the sum of 2D6 with modifiers is 10+ something very good happens for the attacker.  If the sum is 7-9 something good happens, but if the sum is <6 something bad happens.  Summing the dice before adding modifiers creates something that can approximate a normal curve.  This makes the effects of modifiers more uniform compared to determining outcomes based on rolls being above or below set values i.e. hit on 4+. 
My reworked rules will have commander units which can make troops near them more potent.  Units in the game will also have only two states of damage; Order and Disorder.  Having lots of bases making up a unit goes against my desire to keep the game compact and cheap, and having units trail a set of dice clutters the board too much for my liking.  Commanders will also be able to rally disordered units back to ordered.
The other project I'm working on is Tech?No! Bowl.  It's a football (American) simulator board game.  One of my coworkers is excited to play it and it might help transition him into more traditional wargames.  Tech?No! Bowl is very difficult to find in print, and expensive if you can find it.  I was able to find the rules for sale online from a reputable source for a reasonable price. I'll be designing 3D printing most of the pieces.  The game's designer sells boards and some of the other important pieces for a reasonable price.  The pieces I've finished can be found at the following link.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2883378
I'm planning on going camping over the Memorial Day weekend, so hopefully I can get the horse and musket game playable by then.  I'm looking forward to getting back to this and posting pictures of games soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment