Wednesday, June 21, 2023

First Commission Designed, Printed, Sold and Painted

 It has been a particularly rewarding week for my wargaming hobby.  I received my copy of The Second Portable Wargame Compendium.  It is a great read, and full of interesting ideas.  It has been inspiring to see what everyone is doing with The Portable Wargame system.  It is probably the most adaptable system I've seen yet.  

My first commissioned 3D print work has also been completed.  In a matter of a couple early mornings before the kids wake up and a couple hours after they went to sleep, (using the theories discussed in my portion of The Second Portable Wargame Compendium), I was able to adapt existing models to fit a roughly Napoleonic force.  I would have probably expanded on some of the included detail but the customer preferred speed over detail.  I would have also tried to get a bearskin for the guard units and/or some more elaborate cavalry helmets.  The models printed over the course of a couple days, with a relatively high and unexplained failure rate.  I'm sure there's a setting off somewhere causing the failure rate.  The models shipped from Illinois to Wisconsin for $4.  The customer received them and immediately got to painting. Within a day or two he posted the following pictures.






It's great to see my work on the tabletop.  Hopefully this set gets some good years of use.  I retained the saved files for the set so if the customer ever wants to expand the set, it should be as easy as printing and shipping.  These are printed at 25mm.  I am confident that they could also be printed at 15mm or 20mm without too much hassle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment