Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Painting Progress

I've spent the past few posts explaining how the ruleset I've been developing working with digital models.  I enjoy explaining with the digital models because they are very clear, but the main reason the previous posts didn't have physical miniatures is because they weren't painted.  I've written a longer article for an upcoming project explaining how I designed my 3D models, and how/why they might be a good fit for you.  This effort wouldn't be complete without images of the end result.  With the deadline for the article looming, my miniatures are finally getting the paint and attention they need.  


Shock Cavalry

12mm dice for reference

Three units of regular infantry


I still have to paint the bases, the hands and clean up some details, but the majority of the colors are in place.  The miniatures are painted in a color-block/toy soldier look.  They will get a coating of varnish to protect the paint and making them shiny toy soldiers. The base painting is still somewhat undecided.  The top surface will be a monochromatic green representing grass but the sides are undecided.   have considered painting the sides of the bases in the same color as the unit's distinguishing cuff color.  This will accentuate the differences between units, at the expense of immersion.  Being a game first and works of art second, I'm leaning toward matching the side of the base to the cuff color.  


Each force has 4 units of infantry 1 artillery piece and a shock cavalry unit


A better painter with better paints could get better results but, I think the miniatures are serviceable at arms distance for now.  They're definitely something that button counters should avoid, but they're durable,distinguishable, compact, customizable, and cheap.  I definitely have more money invested in cheap acrylic craft paint and brushes than the miniatures themselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment