Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Army Red

 

From left to right. Skirmish Infantry, Carbine Cavalry, Regular Infantry, Gatling Gun, Field Artillery, Regular Infantry (again), Skirmish Infantry (again), and Lancer Cavalry in the right rear.  

In my limited free time, I designed some very simple 19th Century armies for use with The Portable Wargame, and other simple wargames.  Above is "Army Red", based on a historical force also famous for wearing red uniforms. A typical field force for "army red" will probably be 6-8 units with 4 units of regular infantry, but I generally use the scenarios from One Hour Wargames as a basis for army compositions.  

The next step is determining what "army blue" will look like.  I may end up designing my own terrain as well.  If so, desert buildings are very easy to model, which makes an Egyptian/Turkish adversary attractive.  But after having reread The War of the Worlds, a Martian invasion force seems like it could be a lot of fun.  If I go this route, I would probably still need a European opponent to fight alongside and against "army red".

I still haven't given up on my own rules, but am really struggling with the AI to control the opponent.  Controlling an army in the field is a bigger challenge to program than the cars in my racing game from previous posts.  In that game cars roll 1D6 each turn.  AI cars become more defensive and passive as they acquire damage, but in that game cars move through specific phases as a field.  In order, all cars choose whether to pit, pass, or draft (choosing a lane in the process).  Then they all are subject to random events, followed by cars attempting to complete their passes (assuming they're still in a good position).  

No comments:

Post a Comment