Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Colonial Progress

Inspired by my recent purchase of Bob Cordery's The Portable Colonial Wargame, I have updated my colonial range.  Below are some images of prototype models.  I haven't quite given up on my own colonial rules but, I want these miniatures to be able to support both PCW games and my prototype ruleset. Before leaving LA, I did some test prints of the British infantry and some more complicated cavalry units with wide brimmed hats (not pictured).  The test prints were successful and paintable with my terrible skills as small as 18mm. 
My colonial rules are progressing. I have determined that I will be using an activation mechanic.  Units will roll 2D6, gaining 1 action with a modified roll of 7+ and 2 actions with a modified roll of 10+.  A modified roll of 6 or less results in that player's turn ending.  Actions like moving into easy terrain, firing, and charging will cost 1 action and difficult actions will cost 2.  When using this mechanic, players will not know how many units they will get to activate during their own turn and should make the game easier for me to play solo. 





  
The family and I have had an interesting few months since my last post.  In my last post, we were living in Los Angeles and searching for a house to buy in Virginia.  We were supposed to have six weeks of training in Alabama between leaving LA and arriving in Virginia.  We went house hunting in late January and had plans to continue the hunt if needed the first two weeks of March.  This would give us enough time to do the administrative actions and take position by 24 April when I would complete my training and arrive in Virginia.  
Four days into my training (Friday 13 March for the superstitious), it was canceled due to the impending threat of COVID-19.  My classmates all departed to their home stations, but having left my prior assignment in LA and returned our apartment to the landlord, I suddenly found myself in need of housing.  We arrived in Virginia 15 March and stayed at the base hotel.  Monday we started the search for any house or apartment available for immediate occupancy.  We signed a lease for a house on the 20th and our household goods were dropped off on 30 March.  We are now setting up our new house while I telework, leading a team of 17, having met only two of the team members.  We are all healthy and as soon as I get unpacked, I'm looking forward to getting some games in.  

2 comments:

  1. Interesting - both the colonial stuff and your moving home base right across the Continent. But I'm curious about the posting date: about 7 weeks back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow the set to private button got clicked. It took me a while to notice.

    ReplyDelete